Disclosure: This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Post Pebbles, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #PostWalgreens .
My husband started his new job today! We’ve been very excited for the past 2 weeks because this new job will bring so many amazing things to our family. It’s a true blessing and perfect timing with baby #3 due in just 2 months.
Since his schedule is now pretty much set in stone (unlike his crazy off the wall work schedule with the previous job) I can now plan meals for him like breakfast and lunches. I was trying to think of something quick he could take in the car with him if he was running late in the mornings but that would be a great healthy snack for the girls and I.
Usually I buy cereal bars or granola bars for us to snack on but we all know those aren’t really a healthy option with the extra fat, calories, and sugar that has been added. I came up with a great heart healthy recipe that I knew the whole family would love – cranberry granola bars but I put a spin on the original recipe I had by using Honey Bunches Of Oats with Almonds from Post (which I found for only $1.99 but more about that later).
These bars are so easy to make but beware you might start digging in to the mix before they are set or cut into their bar shape. Seriously, it’s hard to stay away!
Melt the butter, brown sugar, honey and vanilla in a small pan. Meanwhile in a large bowl mix together the cereal, oats and cranberries. When the butter mixture is combined stir it in with the cereal, spread it in your pan and let it cool! It’s really that simple.
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 Cup honey
- 1/4 Cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Cups quick oatmeal
- 1 1/2 Cup Honey Bunches of Oats With Almonds
- 1/3 Cup Sweetened Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 9×13 or 9×11 with parchment paper.
- Mix oatmeal, cranberries and cereal together in a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- In small sauce pan, bring the butter, honey and brown sugar to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal mix and stir carefully but quickly to coat.
- VERY firmly pack the cereal mix into your lined pan. Press as hard as you can or else your bars will fall apart later on.
- Cool for at least 3 hours before cutting.
- *Store in air tight container for up to 4 days.
Right now at Walgreens, you can get any of the Post Cereals below for just $1.99!! Run, don’t walk, to your nearest Walgreens ASAP so you can stock up and can make these delicious granola bars. You definitely need to take advantage of Walgreens’ exclusive in-store promotion since it started yesterday (February 16, 2014) and only runs until Sunday (February 23, 2014).
What’s your favorite healthy & quick go to breakfast/snack?