I’ve partnered with MomCentral and LiL Snappers for this post.
My girls LOVE fruit, like L.O.V.E it. I guess I’m lucky since they love veggies too. One thing I don’t love is how Kendall won’t let me slice her apples and by the time she’s done there is still one half of the apple to go. I am forced to throw it away because her toddler hands have been God knows where.
What I need is kid size fruit. Enter Lil Snappers! Two great companies, Sunkist Growers, and Stemilt Growers, joined together to create this great brand for kids.
Lil Snappers are currently only available in Louisiana (New Orleans), Florida (Jacksonville) and North Carolina at the following locations but of course you should talk to your grocery store produce manager to request that they carry Lil Snappers:
- Ingles Super Markets
- Harris Teeter Super Markets
- Winn Dixie Stores
- C&S Wholesale Groceries
Now that is more like it. Small fruit for small hands. They are the perfect size for my kids to hold and to fill their bellies without any waste. There are over 20 varieties (apples, oranges, and pears) of Lil Snappers available, including multiple organic varieties – all perfectly sized for little hands. Each variety of fruit comes in a bag that stands up in the refrigerator and are re-sealable for easy access and storage.
While my girls like to snack on apples and oranges alone they also enjoy when I put them in different and fun recipes. We had fun looking through the creative Lil Snappers recipes. My whole family has fallen into a sushi obsession lately so as soon as Makenna saw what looked like sushi she asked me if we could make them. The Turkey-Orange-Cream Cheese rolls were a fun and healthy lunch that both girls enjoyed and ate up in minutes.
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- ¼ tsp. fresh Sunkist® navel orange zest*
- 4 Sunkist navel oranges, cut into segments, (juice reserved)**
- 3 tsp. freshly squeezed Sunkist navel orange juice (from above)
- 1/8 tsp. minced fresh chives, plus additional chives for garnish
- 4 thin slices smoked turkey breast (or favorite sandwich meat)
- Set aside 8 orange segments (for topping “sushi”) and dice remaining segments to use in cream cheese mixture.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, zest, diced orange segments, juice, and chives; mix thoroughly.
- Spread each tortilla with half (1/4 cup) cream cheese mixture and top with 2 slices of meat.
- Roll up tortilla, beginning at one end by folding in a ½” edge. Continue rolling to form a tight, flute-shaped tortilla.
- Cut ¼ inch from each long end of roll (to have a straight edge at each end) and slice remaining center section into approximate ½” widths.
- Each tortilla roll should produce 4 to 5 mini rolls.
- Arrange sliced rolls, cut-side up, on a small plate. Top each roll with one orange segment (reserved earlier) and garnish with some cut chives, if desired.
I paired the rolls with honey mustard, and ranch dresses instead of the usual sushi eel sauce, and soy sauce.
The oranges we used in the recipe and on top were Cara Cara Navel Lil Snappers. This little guy has been branded as The Power Orange® for its amazing nutritional value. There is 30 percent more Vitamin A and 20 percent more Vitamin C than regular navel oranges. From the moment I started to take the peel off (which was a tad harder than I am use to) the juices were everywhere. I couldn’t believe how much tasty juice was in one tiny orange. The interior is a beautiful pink shade resulting from the natural presence of Lycopene.
Your kids will love that they can keep their independence by holding fruit that fits nicely in their hands and you, like me, will love that you don’t have to throw away wasted fruit.
Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Lil Snappers. I received product samples to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.